COVID-19 has paralysed the world.
In response to this pandemic and from a research standpoint, members of the Health and Wellbeing Strategic Research Area have been writing journal papers, blog pieces, planning, and designing studies to ascertain the impact of this pandemic on the day-to-day lives of society.
Publications, Blogs & Communications
- Marston, H.R., Musselwhite, C., & Hadley, R.A. (2020). COVID-19 vs Social Isolation: the Impact Technology can have on Communities, Social Connections and Citizens. Ageing Issues, 18th March, 2020. The British Society of Gerontology.
- Borgstrom, E. (2020). How Covid-19 Challenges our notions of a good death. Discover Society, 12th April 2020.
- Borgstrom, E. (2020). How Covid-19 Challenges our notions of a good death. LSHTM, 15th April 2020.
- Sheerman, L., Marston, H.R., Musselwhite, C., and Morgan, D. (2020). COVID-19 and the secret virtual assistants: the social weapons for a state of emergency [version 1; peer review: awaiting peer review]. Emerald Open Res, 2:19. https://doi.org/10.35241/emeraldopenres.13571.1
- White, P.J., Marston, H.R., Shore, L., and Turner, R. (2020). Learning from COVID-19: Design, Age-friendly Technology, Hacking and Mental Models [version 1; peer review: awaiting peer review]. Emerald Open Res, 2:21. https://doi.org/10.35241/emeraldopenres.13599.1
- First study to assess technology use during COVID-19. Open University Research, 11th May 2020
- Borgstrom, E. (2020). Social death during the COVID-19 pandemic: examples and what we can do about it. Available at: https://firstname.lastname@example.org/social-death-during-the-covid-19-pandemic-examples-and-what-we-can-do-about-it-13665ba31620
- Cohn, S., Driessen, A., & Borgstrom, E. (2020). A time to reflect on end of life care. LSHTM, 19th May 2020.
- Marston, H.R., & Kowert, R. (2020). What role can videogames play in the COVID-19 pandemic? [version 1; peer review: awaiting peer review]. Emerald Open Res, 2:34. https://doi.org/10.35241/emeraldopenres.13727.1
- Vseteckova, J., Kentzer, N., Horne, J., Penson, M., Robb, M., […] Taverner, P. (2020). The effects of self-isolation and lack of physical activity on carers. OpenLearn, The Open University, 3rd June, 2020. Available at https://www.open.edu/openlearn/health-sports-psychology/social-care-social-work/the-effects-self-isolation-and-lack-physical-activity-on-carers
- Marston, H.R., & Morgan, D.J. (2020). Technology & Social Media during COVID-19 Pandemic. Special Issue: COVID-19 & Geriatric Mental Health Worldwide. IPA Bulletin; 37(2). Available from https://www.ipa-online.org/publications/ipa-bulletin/featured-articles/covid-19-bulletin-articles/technology-social-media-during-covid19
Study 1 – COVID-19: Technology, Social Connections, Loneliness & Leisure Activities
Communications & Press Releases:
- The Open University published ‘First study to assess technology use during COVID-19‘
- Consortium partners at the Open University of Catalonia, Barcelona have published ‘”New normality” and its effects on ICT use‘ press release in the following languages: English, Catalan, Spanish
Study 2 – Death in the Age of Covid
A social media account on Twitter to curate and cultivate a public space to highlight and discuss the changing practices around death, dying and bereavement in the age of COVID-19. Open to contributions/suggested articles or tweets.
- Lead: Dr Eric Borgstrom, support from Dr Annelieke Driessen (LSHTM)
- Twitter handle: @deathinageofco1
Ageing Well whilst Self-Isolating
Article by Dr Jitka Vseteckova.
Within the Ageing Well Series led by Dr Jitka Vseteckova, Senior Lecturer in the School of Health, Wellbeing and Social Care at The Open University, OpenLearn has published an article (inc. short video) relating to self-isolation.
This lecture provides easy to follow advice on how to stay healthy and based on the 5-pillars of ageing well while self-isolating during the COVID-19 pandemic. This lecture specifically focuses on nutrition, hydration, physical, cognitive and social stimulation.
Additional videos and animation surrounding this topic and key areas are accessible below:
- Ageing Well in Self-Isolation: How to age well, while self-isolating? More information is available here
- Keeping Healthy in Self-Isolation? – Animation video is available here Transcript is available here
For more information Email: email@example.com
- Coronavirus: The Lowdown? More information available here if you would like to download a copy of this content please email firstname.lastname@example.org